- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/3 cup finely diced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Generously coat a large baking sheet with olive oil; set aside. Cut eggplant lengthwise into slices about 3/4-inch thick. Arrange slices in a single layer cut side down on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in oven on middle rack and roast 15-20 minutes until underside is dark brown and slightly bubbly.
While eggplant is baking, mix together capers, onion, garlic, tomatoes, vinegar and minced parsley. When eggplant slices are ready, flip with a spatula and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Top with tomato mixture and continue baking 10-15 minutes more or until underside is dark brown and slightly bubbly. Remove from oven and arrange on plate. Garnish with fresh parsley. Makes 4 servings.