- 1 medium pumpkin
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2-4 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large stock pot, brown beef in olive oil over high heat, until seared on all sides. Remove from pot and set aside. In same pot, add onion, carrots, celery and bell pepper; sauté about 10 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add white potatoes, sweet potatoes and beef broth to preferred consistency. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and add browned beef. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
Meanwhile, cut top off pumpkin and discard. Scoop out seeds and stringy membrane. Brush inside with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place shell in shallow pan and add stew. Cover with parchment and bake about an hour or until pumpkin meat is tender. Ladle out stew, scooping out some pumpkin with each spoonful. Makes 4-6 servings.